Welcome to Brown's Financial Aid Calculator. The Financial Aid Calculator has been designed in collaboration with the College Board to assist prospective students and their families in estimating a family contribution and need-based award if the student were to attend Brown. The calculator provides students and families with an estimate of personalized need-based aid eligibility at Brown regardless of whether you plan on attending college next year or in the future. The calculator may also be helpful for younger students and their families to estimate college costs and assist in planning for these future educational expenses. Finally, the calculator allows you to print out the data you entered and your estimated award to use for future reference.
Need-Based Financial Aid
It is important to remember that all institutional aid awarded by Brown is based on a family’s demonstrated need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Brown, as a member of the Ivy League, does not offer aid based on academic achievement, athletic ability, or any other form of merit.
To receive institutional need-based aid students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the College Scholarship Service Profile. For all requirements visit our website.
Estimated Financial Aid Eligibility
The results provided by the calculator are only estimates and are in no way an “official” offer of financial aid. Instead the calculator will provide you with a starting point for understanding how Brown’s current financial aid policies apply to you.
To receive the best estimates of your financial aid eligibility, please read the information below carefully before beginning the calculator.
- Although not necessary, it is suggested that you have both the student's as well as parents' latest tax returns and information regarding savings, investments and other assets available to reference while completing the calculator questions.
- The estimated results are only as reliable as the information you provide.
- The cost of attendance, estimated family contribution, and estimated awards are based on Brown's financial aid policies for the 2013-14 academic year. The policies may change and could affect the estimated family contribution and award at the time of admission.
- The Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is the sum of the student's and parents' expected (or calculated) contribution and is determined based on the income and asset information you provided. For more information about what income components Brown considers when determining total parent income, please visit our website.
- This calculator is intended to estimate a family contribution for U.S. Citizens and permanent residents. It does not apply to Canadian or other international students.
- If parents are divorced or separated, the calculator should be completed by the custodial and non-custodial parents individually. The separate parent contributions should then be added together for the final parent contribution.
- The official award may vary due to Brown University financial aid policies at the time of admission.
Students Already Attending Brown
The calculator is provided to give prospective students an “estimate” of what their family contribution might be if they were to attend Brown. It is not intended to be used by returning students to determine their eligibility for need-based aid. If returning students have questions regarding their aid awards they should contact the Office of Financial Aid directly.