Welcome to Rensselaer's Net Price Calculator (NPC)! All schools enrolling undergraduate students are required by federal law to provide an NPC to assist individuals in understanding an estimate of your out-of-pocket expenses and the financial aid amounts you might be eligible to receive. Rensselaer offers nearly 142 million dollars of its own aid in addition to participating in federal and state financial aid programs.
Even if you're not going to college in the near future, the net price calculator will still be helpful. Younger students and their parents can use this tool to learn about college costs and receive early financial aid information. You can create "what if" scenarios based on expected family income and anticipated expenses, and start to plan and save well before applying to college.
Colleges have different resources and financial aid policies, so your "net price" will vary from institution to institution. Also, special circumstances are considered by financial aid offices on a case-by-case basis. If your situation is unusual, be sure to contact our Office of Financial Aid once you have been admitted.
Also, remember that when determining your merit scholarship eligibiilty, Rensselaer reviews the totality of who you are - not just your academic record. We are interested in all you have accomplished both inside and outside the classroom. Some of these elements cannot be captured on a NPC, and so the estimate provided may potentially differ from your actual merit award, if selected.
When you're ready to begin, you can sign in with your College Board user name and password or use the calculator as a guest. The advantage of signing in is that the information you enter will be saved in your account, so you can use it again and again to calculate your net price at other colleges of interest.
NOTE: This calculator is intended for undergraduate students who have never attended Rensselaer previously and who are US Citizens or Permanent Residents. Don't use this calculator if you are applying as a graduate student, a transfer student, have Canadian or other International citizenship, or are a currently enrolled student at Rensselaer. If you are not a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen while attending a High School that participates in our Rensselaer Medal Scholarship Program, the Medalist award will be provided if you are selected to be your school's Rensselaer Medalist.
The calculator is designed to give you an early indication of how much and what types of financial aid you might qualify for if you were a college freshman attending Renssselaer full-time in the academic year indicated. It is a tool which we hope will give you a better understanding of options and opportunities so you can make more informed decisions about your college choices.
Completing the calculator should take no more than 20 minutes of your time. You will need to answer some basic questions about your parents' financial situation so you should begin once you have recent tax forms or pay stubs on hand.
As you use the calculator, please remember:
- This is not an application for admission or financial aid to Rensselaer. The information you enter will not be retained or relayed to us in any way.
- The results will only be as reliable as the data you provide. Please be sure to read the Helpful Information sections as you navigate through the calculator.
- The net price calculator will only give you an estimate of your net price and aid eligibility. Rensselaer looks at the totality of your admission application materials for determining merit aid eligibility. As a result other factors such as leadership, community involvement, personal achievements and a committment to excellence cannot be captured through this calclator. Rensselear award amounts provided are based upon averages that students receive based on SAT/ACT test scores, rank-in-class, and demonstrated financial need. Our Office of Financial Aid has the final authority in determining your family contribution and any financial aid award.
- Only US Citizens and Permanent Residents, and Citizens of Canada, are eligible to recieve merit scholarship or need-based grant funds from Rensselaer. International students may recieve a Rensselaer Medal Scholarship if their high school is a program participant and they are selected to be the school's Rensselaer Medalist. International Students including students from Canada should not use this calculator. Only international students from Canada should complete the CSS Profile application for Rensselaer.
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1 of their final year in high school (ex: October 2018 for Fall 2019 New Students). In addition, we require the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile application for all first time aid applicants. The Profile is also available after October 1 of the year prior to the year you plan to attend college.
The amounts that are provided during your use of this calculator are estimates only and are not a final determination or actual financial awards that will be made to you.
The estimate and all other information produced using this calculator shall not be binding upon the Secretary of the United States Department of Education, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the State of New York, or any other person, government, or entity nor shall they have liability of any kind related to them, and you shall have no legal claim of any sort against them, or any of them, with respect to the estimate and all other information produced using this calculator.